Temporary Utility Worker/Laborer
- Salary/Pay Rate:$17.00/Hour
- Posted Date:02/06/2017
- Deadline to Apply:02/01/2018
To Apply For This Position Click = HERE = to go to our KRONOS online employment application system.
The District is currently seeking qualified candidates to fill several Temporary Positions in our Water Construction Division.
Under supervision of District personnel, temporary utility worker/laborers perform a variety of clean-up, maintenance, and manual labor tasks associated with the installation, repair and maintenance of water distribution systems, as well as canals and water conveyance systems used for the operation of the hydroelectric power plant, irrigation ditches, and lakes.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES: the duties specified below are representative of the range of duties assigned to this temporary position and are not intended to be an inclusive list.
- Temporary employees may assist with the excavation, installation, and repair mains, lines and laterals. Performs weed abatement as necessary to clear drains, channels, and ditches of vegetation and debris.
- Follows direction while assisting District crews during work on concrete and pavement maintenance and repair. Assists with backfills of open trenches and may assist in the “finishing” work as appropriate; assists in the removal and relocation of construction materials required at the job site.
- May remove paint and other coatings, and perform clean up and maintenance of District facilities.
- Under supervision, may assist in the setup of traffic control including signs and barricades.
- Ensures safety procedures are followed.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Knowledge of: Use of general construction tools and equipment. Safe work practices. Principles of maintenance and construction.
Skill/Ability to: Ability to follow direction in a construction environment. Safely perform construction, maintenance and repair tasks associated with utility activities. Learn to operate a variety of hand tools and light equipment safely. Learn and apply safe work practices, including traffic control procedures, trench shoring, and confined space entry procedures. Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing. On a continuous basis, know and understand operations, and observe safety rules; intermittently analyze problem equipment; identify and locate equipment. Intermittently, sit; bend, squat, climb, kneel and twist when performing installation/repair of equipment; perform simple and power grasping, pushing, pulling, and fine manipulation; and lift or carry weight of 50 pounds or less.
Experience and/or Education: Any combination of experience and training that would provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required knowledge and abilities would be:
Experience: One year of general construction experience desirable.
Education: Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth grade.
License and Certificate: Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid California driver’s license at the time of appointment. Individuals who do not meet this requirement due to physical disability will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
All candidates selected to fill these positions will be subject to pre-employment physical and drug screen prior to placement.