The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has promulgated pretreatment standards under the Clean Water Act to reduce discharges of mercury from dental offices into publicly owned treatment works (POTWs). The Dental Effluent Guidelines are codified in the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), Title 40, Part 441, Effluent Limitations and Standards for the Dental Category. Existing dental offices (operating prior to the effective date of the rule, July 14th 2017) must comply with the rule by July 14th 2020. Dental offices who began practice after July 14th 2017(New Source) must comply immediately.
This final rule requires dental offices, that replace or remove amalgam, to operate and maintain an amalgam separator and use two Best Management Practices (BMPs) recommended by the American Dental Association (ADA). In addition, this rule requires dental offices to submit a One-Time Compliance Form.
It is El Dorado Irrigation District’s (EID) responsibility under the new regulation to notify all of the dental offices who discharge to its POTW facilities of the regulation requirements and ensure compliance with the new regulation. To comply, EID will require all dental offices to submit the aforementioned One-Time Compliance Form. All non-exempt dental offices must also install and maintain an approved amalgam separator. Please find more detailed information below about this program and how to comply.
If you have questions, please contact us at (530) 295-6867or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
EID Program Documents
- EID Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Note: Applicable information to help achieve compliance with the new rule.
- EID One Time Compliance Form
Note: This form must be completed by all dental offices in EID’s sewer service area.
Additional Informational Resources
Information from the EPA
- Electronic Code of Federal Regulations 40 CFR Part 441
- EPA Dental Effluent Guidelines
- EPA Frequently Asked Questions (November 2017)
- EPA Mercury in Your Environment
- American Dental Association: Amalgam Separators
- California Dental Association: Sponsored Program-Pure Life
- El Dorado County Environmental Management: Hazardous Materials Program
- California Department of Toxic Substance Control: Hazardous Waste
- Bay Area Pollution Prevention Group -Baywise
- EID Dental Office Amalgam Waste Management Companies
EID’s Industrial Pretreatment and Pollution Prevention Program
2890 Mosquito Road, Placerville, California 95667
Phone: 530-295-6867 | Fax: 530-344-5678